Real estate agents say housing market is favoring for buyers
Real estate agents say many of their buyers are encouraged by an expected surge of supply this spring, and that a number of them are taking a wait-and-see approach rather than hustling to get a deal done.
This market shift that puts the control in the hands of the buyer was revealed by a recentCredit Suissesurvey of 500 real estate agents around the country.
The report noted that buyer traffic in February was up one point from the previous month, but down 11 points from last year.
The results appear to be in line with expectations, Credit Suisse said, with responses indicating moderate activity across the country compared with last year, intensified by atypical rainfall, snow, and cold.
Credit Suisse also said its survey revealed an uptick in incentives in markets like Las Vegas, Houston, and Denver, and that Charlotte, Jacksonville, Florida; and New York-Northern New Jersey saw the largest gains in traffic.
Further, the majority of respondents to the monthly survey noted a sequential increase in home prices for the first time since August.
The report also notes that while the inventory of existing housing stock is rising as sellers plan for spring demand, there is a lack of supply in housing under $300,000.
Respondents reported strong demand for housing at this price point, noting that corporate relocations are supporting sales in areas where there is affordable housing stock.
Here is a summary from Credit Suisse of feedback from active real estate agents in the 5 top-performing markets:
1. Charlotte, North Carolina “Traffic levels met agents' expectations as rising employment opportunities encourage in-migration. That said, closings are constrained by the lack of inventory at more affordable price points.”
2. Jacksonville, Florida “Moderating rates and snowbirds coming down from Northern states drove demand above realtors' expectations. In turn, the persistent inventory shortage has buyers out and looking at any available property.”
3. New York-Northern New Jersey “Demand is concentrated at the more affordable price points, including first-time and multi-family properties. Given the potential for further home price moderation, buyers seem willing to wait longer before purchasing.”
4. Atlanta, Georgia Agents cited an early start to the spring market with buyers motivated by year-over-year price declines and improving inventory levels. Days on the market remain low with multiple offers on quality inventory, though we note 52% of our respondents saw greater-than-anticipated incentives.”
5. Denver, Colorado “In-line with broader trends, Realtors noted healthy demand at affordable price points vs. sluggishness at the higher-end ($500k+). Easing rates and down payment assistance programs are also supporting entry-level traffic.”
Providing a superior level of informed, professional real estate services to buyers and sellers throughout Central Minnesota. From Maple Grove to St. Cloud, we have professional Realtors ready to assist! Residential & Commercial Real Estate, Sauk Rapids Real Estate, Sartell Real Estate, Waite Park Real Estate, Rice Real Estate, St. Joe Real Estate, Foley Real Estate. Milaca Real Estate, Litchfield, Maple Grove and surrounding communities. Whether you're looking at buying or selling home in St. Cloud, multi-family units in Sauk Rapids, land in Rockville or any property in Central Minnesota, we are the dedicated professionals to call for your needs. Premier Real Estate Services has offices located in St. Cloud, Milaca, Litchfield, Hutchinson, and Maple Grove. We intend to be your PREMIER source for all your Central Minnesota Real Estate Needs.
Different bedrooms have different personalities, and when staging your
"Gavin was great. He worked with us for two years before we found the perfect house. He was willing to work with me selling and buying, while my husband was overseas. Best realtor I've ever worked with."