Designing your own home can be exciting, but it's a lot more work than buying an existing house. With so many moving pieces involved, knowing what works and what doesn't is key. Protect your home's long-term value by sidestepping these five avoidablepitfalls of building a new home.
1. Forgetting About Storage Space From seasonal items to extra bedding, everything requires a temporary home when not in use. For that, you'll need plenty of storage space. Some simple solutions might include a few extra closets, a sizeable garage space or built-in cabinets and shelving.
2. Skimping on Materials Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and new home construction is no exception. Even if you're watching your pennies, try not to scrimp on quality, especially when it comes to important things like flooring. The materials you choose can have a huge impact on your home's overall value.
3. Overlooking Energy Efficiency For anenergy-efficient home design, make sure to use earth- and wallet-friendly features like well-sealed windows and green materials during the build. These are your strongest assets in keeping heating and cooling costs down long-term.
4. Losing Sight of Current and Future Needs Design for your current needs, but keep the future in mind, too. For instance, do you plan to have children? Are you going to pursue a specific hobby, such as woodworking, when you retire? Whatever the future holds, work with your builder to create a dream home that willsupport your evolving needs.
5. Letting Someone Else Decide You don't need to keep up with the Joneses to have an ideal space. Only you and your family know what you need most in a new home, so choose and upgrade according to your preferences alone.
In the end, building your ideal home is about identifying both what you want and what you don't want. Choose wisely so your new abode will be comfortable, efficient and attractive to future buyers.
Providing a superior level of informed, professional real estate services to buyers and sellers throughout Central Minnesota. From Maple Grove to St. Cloud, we have professional Realtors ready to assist! Residential & Commercial Real Estate, Sauk Rapids Real Estate, Sartell Real Estate, Waite Park Real Estate, Rice Real Estate, St. Joe Real Estate, Foley Real Estate. Milaca Real Estate, Litchfield, Maple Grove and surrounding communities. Whether you're looking at buying or selling home in St. Cloud, multi-family units in Sauk Rapids, land in Rockville or any property in Central Minnesota, we are the dedicated professionals to call for your needs. Premier Real Estate Services has offices located in St. Cloud, Milaca, Litchfield, Hutchinson, and Maple Grove. We intend to be your PREMIER source for all your Central Minnesota Real Estate Needs.